May 13, 2019 18:30
Roundtable Discussions for Members: "What's Next for ASJ?
For the past year, the Interim Council has been stabilizing ASJ and working to reduce the risk of collapse of governance and operations in the future. As the Interim Council prepares to step down, all ASJ members are invited to roundtable discussions on formulating a comprehensive strategy for ASJ. As a new chapter begins for ASJ and, as we approach our 150th anniversary, this is your chance to help shape ASJ's future.
ASJ YOUTUBE CHANNEL
ASJ is now on YouTube. See highlights of Mr. Edward Suzuki's address to ASJ at the Annual Lecture for 2019:
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Transactions of the Asiatic Society of Japan
Dr. Erich Berendt and Professor Kei Yamanaka, Editors
The TRANSACTIONS editorial committee welcomes the submission of research articles, scholarship in brief papers, essays and book reviews for the next Transactions (Volume 11) by June 30, 2019. Now in its 147th year of publication, the Transactions has contained papers from the following fields as related to Japan:
Sociology, Anthropology, and Ethnology
Government, Politics, and Law
Economics and Business
Mythology, Religion, and Philosophy
Art and Technology
How to Submit Your Paper
All submissions should be e-mailed to the Editors and be labeled “Transactions Manuscript”: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions should follow the stylistic guidelines below:
• Manuscripts should be prepared in MS Word, in 12-point Times New Roman font.
• Articles should be accompanied by an abstract of approximately 200 words and a list of key words/phrases.
• Articles should not exceed 12,000 words (approximately 27 pages), including title page, abstract, key words, graphs, tables, pictures, footnotes, etc.
• Scholarship in Brief, Essays, and Book Reviews should not exceed 6,000 words. They do not require an abstract and a list of key words.
• Articles, Scholarship in Brief, Essays, and Reviews should all be accompanied by a brief author note consisting of the author’s bio in narrative form not exceeding 100 words.
• Put page numbers in the upper right corner of each page. Do not include any other material, such as a header or footer.
• For issues not covered in this guide, please refer to the APA style book.
Research papers will be reviewed in two stages, first by the editorial committee, and if deemed necessary by blind peer review. Notification of acceptance will be made by September 1, 2019.
ASJ can only accept submissions under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License. More information about the agreement can be found here: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode
INTERIM COUNCIL DOCUMENTS
In May 2018, an Interim Council Interim was appointed by the remaining Councilors of Council 2018 (i.e., the Councilors who had not resigned in 2018Q1) to replace them. Per the terms of appointment, the Interim Council's purpose has been: (i) to stabilize
the governance and operations of the Society; and, (ii) to implement measures to reduce the risk
of collapse of governance and operations in the future. Documents regarding the circumstances that led to the appointment of the Interim Council, data, analysis, auditors' reports, investigation findings, and recommendations of the Interim Council may be downloaded from the following link:
REMINDER: MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS
May we remind Members who have not yet renewed their membership for this year to please do so by remitting your subscription amount to one of ASJ's accounts. The table of fees can be found by pressing the "JOIN" button at the top of this page:
• PayPal: On the PayPal site, enter the beneficiary "email@example.com" or use paypal.me/asjapan
• Postal transfer to Japan Postal Account No. 00120-0-167991
• Bank transfer to MUFG Bank [三菱UFJ銀行], Aoyama-dori Branch, Ordinary Account No. 1048353
• Payment by U.S. dollar cheque is also acceptable